The Value of Real-Time Weather Data and Chipkin's Servers
Real-Time Weather Data
- The Value of Real-Time Weather Data and Chipkin's Servers
- How to Access Weather Data by Postal/Zip Codes
- Modbus Weather Servers and Weather Condition Enumerations
The Value of Real-Time Weather Data
There are several factors affecting energy efficiency in commercial buildings. Broadly, these factors can be split into internal and external factors, representing controllable and non-controllable factors respectively.
Some of the internal factors include building occupants, the purpose of the commercial building, location of the building, types of equipment used in the building (for example, the heating ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) unit).
With respect to external factors, the weather is the predominant non-controllable factor affecting energy consumption in commercial structures.
Use Case Examples
- You can improve mechanical-system performance. "Weather data can help determine when to use a smaller chiller at full capacity vs. a larger boiler at half capacity to save energy and maintenance costs"
- You can determine the viability of on-site alternative energy. If you compare the efficiency of devices then you need to control that they were operating under the same/similar conditions. In other words. Testing one device in hot weather and another in cold weather isn’t very useful.
- Save energy by adapting to real-time weather conditions. Lights on/off times can be adjusted based on sunrise/sunset times as well as cloud cover.
Chipkin Weather Servers
Chipkin has set up weather servers on the open internet. They are there for anyone to use for any purpose. The data is available for USA and Canada and zoned according to postal/zip codes. At the moment, the data is available via the Modbus TCP protocol. BACnet IP will be added soon. If you require the data via BACnet IP, please CONTACT US.
Automated weather data is now available. Real Time Weather Data is made possible through Modbus. This is especially helpful in providing sunrise and sunset data for HVAC systems. Modbus Weather Data (BMS Weather Data) can help you increase your bottom line. BACnet Weather is coming soon.
Real-Time Weather Data
What data is available? These are early days in this project. Tell us what you need and we will provide it.
- Current condition codes
- Wind speed
- Wind direction
- Dew point
- Comfort level
- Barometric pressure
- Precipitation reporting
- UV Index
- Tomorrows weather and conditions
Continue reading to learn more about the Weather Servers!