BACnet Integration: Gateways, Routers, Loggers, Tools
Intro to BACnet
BACnet is a communications protocol for Building Automation and Control (BAC) networks that leverage the ASHRAE, ANSI, and ISO 16484-5 standard protocol. It is currently the most popular protocol use in Building Automation systems (BAS).
The BACnet standard defines a way to communicate over a number of wires such as Ethernet, EIA-485, EIA-232, ARCNET, and LonTalk as well as UDP, IP and HTTP (Web Services). Protocols Supported include BACnet MSTP, IP and Ethernet.
BACnet was designed to allow communication of building automation and control systems for applications such as heating, ventilating, air-conditioning control (HVAC), lighting control, access control, fire detection systems and their associated equipment.
The BACnet protocol defines a number of services that are used to communicate between building devices. The protocol services include Who-Is, I-Am, Who-Has, I-Have, which are used for Device and Object discovery. Services such as Read-Property and Write-Property are used for data sharing.
The BACnet protocol consists of a number of data link/physical layers referred to as BACnet flavors. They include BACnet IP, BACnet MSTP, BACnet ARCNET, BACnet Ethernet, BACnet IPv6, BACnet PTP, and ZigBee.
Of these flavors, BACnet/IP and BACnet MS/TP are the most popular with BACnet Ethernet rapidly declining. The last few are relatively rare.
Chipkin provides solutions for most flavors of BACnet and can develop the rest. Products include Gateways, Routers, Data Clients, Software, and Stacks.
With its protocol Gateways, Chipkin provides integration solutions and supplies Drivers for BACnet/IP model number FS-8704-06, BACnet MS/TP model number FS-8700-73, BACnet Ethernet model number FS-8704-02, BACnet PTP model number FS-8700-16.
Below is a list of BACnet Protocol Integration Solutions:
The CAS BACnet Stack
Chipkin’s BACnet Stack (CAS BACnet Stack) is a software library that allows you to add a native BACnet interface to your embedded devices or applications. The BACnet stack supports both BACnet server (Field device, power meter, gas detector, etc.) and BACnet client (HMI, Utilities, data loggers, etc.) services giving you the flexibility you need to succeed. The Chipkin BACnet Stack supports the protocol revision 19, making it a global market leader and one of a few stacks that support's revision 19. Chipkin attends plugfest annually and as of 2018 plugfest, our stack is one of the most up to date stacks in the market.
The BACnet Stack is a transport layer independent library, making it easy to use with any transport layer such as MSTP, IP, Ethernet and even PTP and ARCnet. By giving you control of the transport layer you can optimize bandwidth and performance by exploiting the resources at your disposal such as multi-threading and multiple simultaneous connections. See the diagram below of the BACnet Stack Layers which shows what portions are provided by the stack and what by the client:
QuickServer and the Classic QuickServer
These QuickServers come in a variety of models to handle different point counts. Basic handles (250 points) or enhanced between (500-5000 points). The classic QuickServer supports serial (RS485/RS232), Ethernet, and/or LonWorks/KNX/MBus communication.
The QuickServer, FS-QS-2XX0, series is an upgraded version of the Classic QuickServer. It is slimmer, more powerful, and able to support both RS232 and RS485 ports simultaneously for the classic, you required a specific model to handle RS232 Communication. Similar to the classic, the QuickServer is available at 4 different point capacities between 250 points to 5000 points. Each QuickServer can handle up to 140 different drivers, such as Modbus, BACnet, SNMP, EtherNet/IP and many more. Interested? Read More!
Dual-Ethernet Port QuickServer
The Dual Ethernet Port QuickServer is the premium secure QuickServer for those needing the best and most secure networks. Besides being capable of handling everything that the classic QuickServer and the QuickServer can handle, it also contains 2 Ethernet ports, can convert up to 10,000 points and has a lot of new security features. It supports 1 RS-485/RS232 Port, 1 RS485 Port, and two Ethernet ports.
With two Ethernet ports, the dual-port QuickServer allows data to move seamlessly across disparate subnets allowing seamless integration with maximum security. Interested? Read More!
The FieldServer Multiport Protocol Gateway (FS-B35XX) is an extremely flexible tool for integrators looking to connect devices to the cloud and on different physical networks, using different links, and speaking different protocols.
With support for 1,000 points (upgradable to 10,000), the Multiport Gateway can easily handle multiple protocol drivers and multiple translations simultaneously with no slowdown in performance. The product includes four serial connections (two RS-232, two RS-485), two 10/100 Ethernet ports, and a LonWorks (Free Topology - FT) port. Interested? Read More!
The EZ Gateways is an easy-to- use, high-performance, building and industrial automation protocol gateway for system integrators to be used in commercial buildings, campuses or industrial facilities.
The EZ Gateway provides quick multiprotocol deployment of field protocols to enable integrators to commission the gateway with ease.
IntesisBox - BACnet Gateways for AC interfaces and Air Conditioners
IntesisBox BACnet gateways have been specially designed to allow supervision and bidirectional control of all the parameters and functionality of systems and equipment with BACnet, Modbus, LonWorks and Fidelio systems from BACnet/IP networks.
- Easy installation trough TP (TP-1/FT-10), RS485, Ethernet or FIAS communication interfaces
- Great integration flexibility
- Advanced integration of BACnet (light, control, blinds), Modbus and Lonworks (AC units) in BMS systems including Siemens, Honeywell, Trend, Delta Controls... and also meters, PLC’s, HMI, etc.
Specially designed, in collaboration with several manufacturers like Mitsubishi Electric, Daikin, Panasonic and Fujitsu to allow supervision and bidirectional control of all the parameters and functionality of Air conditioners from BACnetIP and BACnet MSTP installations.
- Easy installation. Direct connection to RS-485 or Ethernet and the AC indoor unit
- Great integration flexibility, with supervision and control of BACnet Objects and properties allowing an easy and fast integration with the basic parameters and a complete supervision and control for all the AC unit functionality
- Advanced integration with air conditioner: a complete bidirectional communication and simultaneous control from BACnet and the infrared Air Conditioner remote controller.
List of Intesis BACnet Gateways
BACnet System Block Diagram
CAS BACnet Explorer
CAS BACnet Explorer is the perfect utility for testing, debugging and discovering BACnet® networks and devices. It is great for network diagnostics and discovering who is the problem. No more pointing fingers.
CAS BACnet Explorer performs the following functions within BACnet Networks:
CAS BACnet Object Monitor
The CAS BACnet Object Monitor is a software designed to run on a Windows computer for testing a connection to a BACnet IP device, or to monitor a BACnet IP device.
Its simple to use and FREE! (No email required)
CAS BACnet Wireshark Storm
The CAS BACnet Wireshark Storm application is a tool to help test BACnet server applications with problematic BACnet UDP messages. The tool loads a Wireshark PCap log file and resends the UDP messages to a destination IP address. The BACnet server at the destination IP address will then process the incoming UDP message and attempt to respond to them as if they were coming from an actual BACnet client.
CAS BACnet Report Tool
The Chipkin BACnet Wireshark Report Tool is a tool to help debug problematic device installations on sites with BACnet networks. The tool decodes the captured BACnet messages from a Wireshark PCap log file into their XML representations and outputs a comprehensive report containing important information and statistics. The outputted report and xml files provide the user with an informed understanding of their network so that they can easily locate and debug problematic devices.
The BACnet Router provides stand-alone routing between BACnet/IP, BACnet Ethernet and BACnet MS/TP.
BACnet utilizes the same protocol whether it is over RS-485 Serial, Ethernet or IP. In order to interconnect between the various levels a BACnet Router is required. The FieldServer BACnet Router can easily interconnect between BACnet MS/TP, BACnet Ethernet or BACnet/IP.
BACnet for Field Technicians (Free!)
Learning about BACnet? Want to update your BACnet knowledge? This free EBook will guide you through basic and advanced BACnet topics.
You can purchase a hardcopy of this book from Amazon or you can download the BACnet for Field Techniciansfor free from our website.
FREE CAS BACNET EXPLORER WITH THE PURCHASE OF A BACNET GATEWAY!
Purchase a FieldServer or CAS Gateway from us that contains any BACnet protocol and we will help you test and document the BACnet interface by providing a free full license to the CAS BACnet Explorer and a Hardcopy of the BACnet booklet.
The USB key and booklet ships with the FieldServer.
BACnet Gateways (aka Protocol Converters)
- BACnet to Modbus
- BACnet IP to BACnet MSTP
- BACnet IP to Ethernet IP
- BACnet IP to Modbus RTU
- BACnet IP to Modbus ASCII
- BACnet IP to Simplex 4100
- BACnet IP to Notifier 3030
- BACnet IP to Rapid Engineering ICSII
- BACnet IP to BACnet Arcnet
- BACnet IP to SNMP
- BACnet IP to GE-EGD
- BACnet IP to GE SRTP
- BACnet IP to XML
- BACnet IP to HTTP
- BACnet IP to Telnet
- BACnet IP to TL1
- BACnet IP to DF1
- BACnet IP to Data Highway Plus (DH+)
- BACnet IP to Modbus Plus (MB+)
- BACnet IP to Mircom FX2000
- BACnet IP to Profibus
- BACnet IP to DeviceNet
- BACnet IP to TAC I-Net
- BACnet IP to Omron FINS
- BACnet IP to DNP3
- BACnet IP to Allen-Bradley CSP
- BACnet IP to ControlNet
- BACnet IP to GE SNP (SNPx)
- BACnet IP to GE TLC
- BACnet IP to Kohler
- BACnet IP to Cummins
- BACnet IP to Caterpillar
- BACnet IP to Edwards
- BACnet IP to Gamewell FCI
- BACnet IP to Fike Cheetah
- BACnet IP to Silent Knight Fire
- BACnet IP to Siemens Fire Safety
- BACnet IP to ATMI ACM and TGM
- BACnet IP to Federal Signal Ultravoice
- BACnet IP to OPC
- BACnet IP to Armstrong FA403
- BACnet IP to MetOne Particle Counters
- BACnet IP to Optomux Opto22
- BACnet IP to Multistack Compu25
- BACnet IP to SIA Security Industry
- BACnet IP to KNX
- BACnet IP to M-Bus
- BACnet IP to Notifer 320/640
- BACnet IP to Notifer Legacy Panels
- BACnet IP to National Time and Signal
- BACnet IP to Barrington Microstar
- BACnet IP to Canatal
- BACnet IP to Stulz
- BACnet IP to McQuay Microtech
- BACnet IP to TOA VS900
- Mitsubishi CHC to BACnet IP
- BACnet MSTP to Ethernet IP
- BACnet MSTP to Modbus RTU
- BACnet MSTP to Modbus ASCII
- BACnet MSTP to Simplex 4100
- BACnet MSTP to Notifier 3030
- BACnet MSTP to Rapid Engineering ICSII
- BACnet MSTP to BACnet Arcnet
- BACnet MSTP to SNMP
- BACnet MSTP to GE-EGD
- BACnet MSTP to GE SRTP
- BACnet MSTP to XML
- BACnet MSTP to HTTP
- BACnet MSTP to Telnet
- BACnet MSTP to TL1
- BACnet MSTP to DF1
- BACnet MSTP to Data Highway Plus (DH+)
- BACnet MSTP to Modbus Plus (MB+)
- BACnet MSTP to Profibus
- BACnet MSTP to Armstrong FA403
- BACnet MSTP to Stulz
- BACnet MSTP to DeviceNet
- BACnet MSTP to TAC I-Net
- BACnet MSTP to Omron FINS
- BACnet MSTP to DNP3
- BACnet MSTP to Allen-Bradley CSP
- BACnet MSTP to ControlNet
- BACnet MSTP to GE SNP (SNPx)
- BACnet MSTP to GE TLC
- BACnet MSTP to Kohler
- BACnet MSTP to Cummins
- BACnet MSTP to Caterpillar
- BACnet MSTP to Edwards
- BACnet MSTP to Gamewell FCI
- BACnet MSTP to Fike Cheetah
- BACnet MSTP to Silent Knight Fire
- BACnet MSTP to Siemens Fire Safety
- BACnet MSTP to ATMI ACM and TGM
- BACnet MSTP to TOA VS900
- BACnet MSTP to MetOne Particle Counters
- BACnet MSTP to OPC
- BACnet MSTP to Optomux Opto22
- BACnet MSTP to Multistack Compu25
- BACnet MSTP to SIA Security Industry
- BACnet MSTP to KNX
- BACnet MSTP to M-Bus
- BACnet MSTP to Notifer 320/640
- BACnet MSTP to Notifer Legacy Panels
- BACnet MSTP to National Time and Signal
- BACnet MSTP to Barrington Microstar
- BACnet MSTP to Canatal
- BACnet MSTP to McQuay Microtech
- BACnet MSTP to Federal Signal Ultravoice
- BACnet MSTP to Mircom FX2000
- Mitsubishi CHC to BACnet MSTP
- BACnet Ethernet to Allen-Bradley CSP
- BACnet Ethernet to ATMI ACM and TGM
- BACnet Ethernet to Armstrong FA403
- BACnet Ethernet to BACnet IP
- BACnet Ethernet to BACnet MSTP
- BACnet Ethernet to BACnet Arcnet
- BACnet Ethernet to Barrington Microstar
- BACnet Ethernet to ControlNet
- BACnet Ethernet to Cummins
- BACnet Ethernet to Caterpillar
- BACnet Ethernet to Canatal
- BACnet Ethernet to DF1
- BACnet Ethernet to Data Highway Plus (DH)
- BACnet Ethernet to DeviceNet
- BACnet Ethernet to DNP3
- BACnet Ethernet to Ethernet IP
- BACnet Ethernet to Edwards
- BACnet Ethernet to Fike Cheetah
- BACnet Ethernet to GE-EGD
- BACnet Ethernet to Multistack Compu25
- BACnet Ethernet to GE SRTP
- BACnet Ethernet to GE TLC
- BACnet Ethernet to Gamewell FCI
- BACnet Ethernet to Federal Signal Ultravoice
- BACnet Ethernet to Mircom FX2000
- BACnet Ethernet to HTTP
- BACnet Ethernet to Kohler
- BACnet Ethernet to KNX
- BACnet Ethernet to Lonworks
- BACnet Ethernet to Modbus ASCII
- BACnet Ethernet to Metasys N2
- BACnet Ethernet to Modbus TCP
- BACnet Ethernet to Modbus RTU
- BACnet Ethernet to Modbus Plus (MB)
- BACnet Ethernet to MetOne Particle Counters
- BACnet Ethernet to M-Bus
- BACnet Ethernet to McQuay Microtech
- BACnet Ethernet to Modbus TCP
- BACnet Ethernet to Notifier 3030
- BACnet Ethernet to Profibus
- BACnet Ethernet to Notifer 320/640
- BACnet Ethernet to Notifer Legacy Panels
- BACnet Ethernet to National Time and Signal
- BACnet Ethernet to Omron FINS
- BACnet Ethernet to OPC
- BACnet Ethernet to Optomux Opto22
- BACnet Ethernet to Rapid Engineering ICSII
- BACnet Ethernet to Simplex 4100
- BACnet Ethernet to Silent Knight Fire
- BACnet Ethernet to Siemens Fire Safety
- BACnet Ethernet to SIA Security Industry
- BACnet Ethernet to Stulz
- BACnet Ethernet to SNMP
- BACnet Ethernet to Telnet
- BACnet Ethernet to TL1
- BACnet Ethernet to TAC I-Net
- BACnet Ethernet to TOA VS900
- BACnet Ethernet to XML
- BACnet Ethernet to GE SNP (SNPx)
- BACnet Arcnet to Allen-Bradley CSP
- BACnet Arcnet to ATMI ACM and TGM
- BACnet Arcnet to Armstrong FA403
- BACnet Arcnet to BACnet Ethernet
- BACnet Arcnet to BACnet IP
- BACnet Arcnet to BACnet MSTP
- BACnet Arcnet to Barrington Microstar
- BACnet Arcnet to BACnet IP
- BACnet Arcnet to ControlNet
- BACnet Arcnet to Cummins
- BACnet Arcnet to Caterpillar
- BACnet Arcnet to Canatal
- BACnet Arcnet to DF1
- BACnet Arcnet to Data Highway Plus (DH)
- BACnet Arcnet to DeviceNet
- BACnet Arcnet to DNP3
- BACnet Arcnet to Ethernet IP
- BACnet Arcnet to Edwards
- BACnet Arcnet to Fike Cheetah
- BACnet Arcnet to GE SNP (SNPx)
- BACnet Arcnet to GE-EGD
- BACnet Arcnet to GE TLC
- BACnet Arcnet to Gamewell FCI
- BACnet Arcnet to Federal Signal Ultravoice
- BACnet Arcnet to Mircom FX2000
- BACnet Arcnet to HTTP
- BACnet Arcnet to Kohler
- BACnet Arcnet to KNX
- BACnet Arcnet to Lonworks
- BACnet Arcnet to Modbus ASCII
- BACnet Arcnet to Metasys N2
- BACnet Arcnet to Modbus TCP
- BACnet Arcnet to Modbus RTU
- BACnet Arcnet to Modbus Plus (MB)
- BACnet Arcnet to MetOne Particle Counters
- BACnet Arcnet to Multistack Compu25
- BACnet Arcnet to M-Bus
- BACnet Arcnet to McQuay Microtech
- BACnet Arcnet to Notifier 3030
- BACnet Arcnet to Omron FINS
- BACnet Arcnet to Notifer 320/640
- BACnet Arcnet to Notifer Legacy Panels
- BACnet Arcnet to National Time and Signal
- BACnet Arcnet to OPC
- BACnet Arcnet to Optomux Opto22
- BACnet Arcnet to Profibus
- BACnet Arcnet to GE SRTP
- BACnet Arcnet to Rapid Engineering ICSII
- BACnet Arcnet to Simplex 4100
- BACnet Arcnet to Silent Knight Fire
- BACnet Arcnet to Siemens Fire Safety
- BACnet Arcnet to SIA Security Industry
- BACnet Arcnet to Stulz
- BACnet Arcnet to SNMP
- BACnet Arcnet to Telnet
- BACnet Arcnet to TL1
- BACnet Arcnet to TAC I-Net
- BACnet Arcnet to TOA VS900
- BACnet Arcnet to XML
Thanks for choosing Chipkin’s protocol gateways, data clients, and integration services to meet your building and industrial automation requirements!
Chipkin™ is a building and industrial automation protocol expert. We develop, configure, install and support gateways (protocol converters), data loggers and remote monitor and controlling applications. Founded in October 2000, Chipkin provides expert solutions for converting BACnet®, Modbus®, and LonWorks®—to name just a few—and enabling interfaces for HVAC, fire, siren, intercom, lighting, transportation and fuel systems. The high-quality products we offer (including those from other vendors) interface with Simplex™, Notifier™, McQuay™, GE™ and many others—so you can rest assured that we will select the most appropriate solution for your application.
With Chipkin you are buying a solution. Our configuration expertise in this field combined with free BACnet and other tools ensure your success; and our customer support via phone, e-mail, and remote desktop tools means that we’re there when you need us. Chipkin is a small responsive company, and we live or die by the quality of our service—and with offices in two-time zones—we can provide support when you need it. Give us a call now!
Chipkin is proud to provide support for the products we sell. For technical support, sales, and customer service, please contact us at 1 (866) 383-1657