Hardware, Software, and Special Tools for KNX
KNX Protocol - 10-Minute Course
Fig: Hardware devices that supports KNX
(Left) Switch module, (center) Line coupler, (Right) KNX Server
- System software: It is particularly responsible for processing data communication over the bus, is saved permanently in the device (in the communication module’s ROM) by the manufacturer.
- Application software (application programs): A device’s application software, on the other hand, is supplied by the manufacturer in an ETS 3 product database. The user must then select the corresponding product software, set the parameters, and then load it into the device using ETS 3 in order to commission the device.
- Engineering Tool Software Version 3 (ETS 3): ETS 3 is an
integrated program for designing and commissioning KNX systems.
- A cloud based remote debugging, monitoring and control system for KNX installations, requiring nothing but an off-the-shelf KNX IP-router and an Internet connection by KNX IP tunneling Protocol.
- It records every change to a Group Address and storing that as a
time-series in a database, which helps in real monitoring of the network
For More details: http://www.knxmonitor.com/
KNX supports USB interface 310:
- How to Connect to a PC - This interface is for establish a bidirectional connection between a PC and the EIB/KNX installation bus. The USB connector has a galvanic separation from the EIB/KNX bus. Both ETS (Engineering Tool Software) versions ETS3 or later and some Visualization tools support this interface.
Fig: (Left) M/USB.1 Interface Module, (Right) Interface to a laptop/PC
KNX Wireless Options:
- KNX RF Ready - Center Frequency 868.3 MHz
- KNX RF Multi - Switches between three fast and two slow channels.
Fig: Example of a KNX-RF+line coupler
KNX Energy Meter:
- KNX supports many varieties of smart metering solutions such as energy meters, heat meters, gas meters, fill level meters and many more..
Fig: Examples of Energy meters that is built on KNX.
Check out other devices that support KNX: https://www.knx.org/in/knx/knx-products/new-knx-products/